OK, I’m on a major catch-up before 2015 arrives, forgive me. Here’s a dress I made months ago.
This is McCall’s 5974, allegedly “the perfect knit dress”.
I borrowed the pattern from Jo, after seeing her lovely grey one. Mine is OK but I wouldn’t say it’s perfect. It’s made from a cotton/nylon knit from Levana, and lined with a mystery fabric from the Fabric Warehouse pop-up sale.
Things I like:
- The colour! It’s cheerful in winter.
- It’s super comfy and warm. It’s basically one step up from wearing a sweatshirt.
- I made the sleeves really long to keep my hands warm.
- The wrap/pleat detail is really nice.
Things I don’t like:
- On me, it’s a bit low-cut to be work-appropriate, hence the stupid-looking pin at the front.
- There’s not enough fabric in the front piece, and so it forms a bat-wing with the sleeve. Maybe it needs a FBA? Is that even a thing in a knit pattern?
I could make it again and try to fix these things, but I probably won’t bother.