This is my latest entry over at Indie Pattern Month on the Monthly Stitch. I just won a year-long fitting battle with the Bellatrix blazer, from Papercut patterns.
I think it’s gorgeous, but despite three muslins I couldn’t get it to fit. A tantrum and a year later I came back to it, made a fourth muslin, and behold!
The main fitting changes I made were
1. adding a bit to the side seams, thereby also increasing the sleeve circumference, and
2. making the front side panel squarer, which I guess is a dodgy princess-seam FBA of sorts
The fabric is a textured cotton from my trip to Japan in April. It’s absolutely lovely but it does crease easily in the non-interfaced bits (sleeves and back mostly). The lining is a lighter cotton.
That’s pretty much it about the blazer. Here are the outtakes from a June photo shoot in Wellington:
(gale force winds!)
Ah well, luckily we’re a hardy bunch. And a bright mustard jacket is just the thing on a chilly grey June day.
- Pattern: Bellatrix blazer by Papercut patterns
- Fabric: textured cotton from Japan
- Alterations: widened sleeve, altered shape of side front to give a bit more room
- Next time: lengthen sleeve 1cm, add interfacing to top of sleeve and across top of back
- More versions: here, here, here, here, here, PatternReview
Only slightly out of season… today is summer but it’s officially “gloomy” according to the Met Service. Gloomy is not something Wellington does very often, so I had to look it up in the dictionary. One of the definitions was “a good day for blogging”*, so I got right into it.
Here’s a jacket I made a little while ago, with fabric from last year’s Fabric-a-brac.
The pattern is Simplicity 2209.
It’s a sweet little jacket, with three quarter sleeves and a single button closure. The collar can be ruffled or flat.
I had a few fitting dramas with this one, but I think I got close enough in the end. I also made a few alterations as you can see – full length sleeves, added lining, and made regular buttonholes. All of these were done because my fabric was winter-weight and I wanted the jacket to be a bit more weather-proof.
Next time I’ll make the original version, maybe in a heavy cotton if I can find a good one. I do like the single-button closure and shorter sleeves; it would be great for the warmer parts of the year.**
*Results not guaranteed in all dictionaries.
** By which I mean January to March.